Dave Smith (Sequential) OB-6 Factory Patch List as Text File

Dave Smith / Tom Oberheim OB-6So you have the incredible Dave Smith / Tom Oberheim OB-6 synthesizer, but you are having trouble keeping track of patch storage. You don’t want to overwrite your favourite factory patches, but it’s hard to remember what’s stored where!

There is a patch list on the Sequential site, but it is only available as a PDF. You might want to open it in a spreadsheet so you can manipulate / edit it, so here it is as a text file, which can easily be imported into almost any word processor or spreadsheet app. (Due to the stucture of the PDF on Sequential’s site I found it impossible to extract the text efficiently, so I manually re-typed the entire thing.)

Click here to download:
OB-6-Patch-List.txt

Or click here to read the full post, including the whole patch list, and comments

Why (and How) did I cover Visage’s “Fade To Grey”?

Visage - Fade to Grey 12 inchBack in 2016 I was playing around in the studio, noodling on synths with rhythmic support from my Boss DR-110 “Dr. Rhythm”, a very simple drum machine from 1980. After about 5 minutes of riffing on a simple little syncopated 4/4 pattern I had programmed, I had to hit “STOP” when I realized my beat was almost exactly the same as Fade to Grey by Visage. This inevitable moment, when you realize the riff you’ve been working on is actually something from someone else’s song, is something that happens periodically in every songwriter/producer’s life. When it happens to me, I usually just try to remain cool and start over from a clean slate, or delete the stuff that sounds like the other song and keep exploring.

But in this case I started thinking about that lovely, ghostly melancholy of Fade to Grey, and instead of erasing my work, I decided to trudge onward and see if I could make an instrumental version of the song that would sound great as part of my modern techno set. Within a few hours I had largely recreated the original tune, without vocals, but it took just a few more days of sporadic work before it took on the Steve Coen fairy dust.
Continue reading

More Synth Maintenance Completed

It’s been a busy week behind the scenes at Studio Nebula. Not a lot of creative stuff going on at the moment, but I’ve taken the time to give much-needed TLC to some vintage gear.

Continue reading

Maxim MDS 500 – Photos

The Maxim MDS-500 is not ready for action yet. Honestly, I’m sure it will ever be. It just doesn’t sound very good. I haven’t given up all hope though – I have a couple of suspicions about some things that might not be working as they’re supposed to, but it’s tricky to troubleshoot with no frame of reference. This is the only one of these I have ever seen, I’m not completely sure what it’s supposed to sound like, and there are no schematics or service documents. (If somebody out there has schematics, please let me know!)

Problems I’m having with this MDS-500:

  1. The “noise” doesn’t seem to be as loud as it should be. (Try to find the noise source, disconnect it from each voice 1 at a time – perhaps one voice is loading it down for some reason. Otherwise, perhaps the noise has an output buffer that is not up to snuff)
  2. Most of the front panel pots are intermittent, filthy.
  3. Despite trying lots of settings I haven’t really heard anything that sounds like it’s filtered by an SSM2044 – yet there is an SSM2044 filter per voice!

I’m just not sure yet whether this device needs mods, repairs, or if it’s just crap.

Click here to view the gallery!